avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Charter.txt
Date Fri, 06 Dec 2002 00:06:02 GMT

Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>>Looking at the three proposals, can we take pieces from all?
>>* Auto PMC membership for committers who have been active for
>>  at least six months.
>>* Charter and Bylaw voting time period is a week
>>* A motion passes with 2/3 majority vote of quorum
>>* In the event that quorum cannot be met, voting remains open
>>  until quorum is met.
>>* Size of quorum shall be [insert your percentage here], with
>>  a floor of 3 people (i.e. if percentage of PMC is less than
>>   three, then Quorum is still 3)
>>

>So basically, the three variables are:
>
>   1) Minimum period within which to count votes [1 week]

Berin mentioned extension of the period if quorum has not been met.  If
such a notion is introduced we must also have a cut-off point where a
motion fails because quorum was not met (e.g. three weeks).  I would
also be happy with no extension semantics.

>   2) The definition of a quorum (3+, 33%, 50%)  [  ?   ]

This one (for me) is strong influenced by two factors - firstly
legality.  When the PMC votes it is taken decisions that are binding on
the board.  The second factor is engagement - if we have an auto
membership model then quorum must be low.  If we have active opt-in than
quorum needs to relative to majority.

>   3) Percentage required to carry the vote      [ 66%  ]

Percentage is linked to quorum. With a higher majority, the balance is a
lower quorum.  The quorum question should be validated in terms of
legality with respect to the binding nature of the PMC decisions.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell

OSM SARL