avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Charter.txt
Date Thu, 05 Dec 2002 23:52:27 GMT

Berin Loritsch wrote:

>>> Back to the discussion on procedures for the PMC.  Based on the
>>> emails so far, it seems to me that there are a three proposals that
>>> meet both our objectives.
>>>
>>>  Noel has suggested a majority voting process that is based on
>>>  the Board process that includes the notion of quorum based on
>>>  Apache bylaws Section 5.8. Quorum and Voting (i.e. 50% of
>>>  PMC members).
>>>
>>>  You have also suggested a qualified majority (2/3) process that
>>>  also includes the notion of a quorum.  In an earlier email you
>>>  referenced quorum in relation to Apache bylaws Section 3.9
>>>  dealing with general members (i.e. 33% of the PMC).
>>>
>>>  A third proposal from Sam Ruby is based on auto-PMC-membership,
>>>  majority voting rules and presumably a fixed quorum of 3.
>>

> Looking at the three proposals, can we take pieces from all?
>
> * Auto PMC membership for committers who have been active for
>   at least six months.

I actually prefer the active opt-in process.  This ensures that we don't
auto place people on the PMC who don't want to be on the PMC.  It also
would ensure that the PMC membership is an engaged membership. This
could be achieved by requiring re-election at periodic intervals. This
could be achived by including a requirement for PMC elections every
year, and limiting the term of membership to one year.

> * Charter and Bylaw voting time period is a week

+1

> * A motion passes with 2/3 majority vote of quorum

Assuming active opt-in as described above, then:

A 2/3 majority with a 33% quorum is ok providing this is considered
legally binding from the board perspective. Otherwise, 50% majority with
a 50% quorum.

> * In the event that quorum cannot be met, voting remains open
>   until quorum is met.

+1

> * Size of quorum shall be [insert your percentage here], with
>   a floor of 3 people (i.e. if percentage of PMC is less than
>   three, then Quorum is still 3)
>

> BTW, what percentage of PMC membership would you like to see
> for quorum?  50% or 33%?  I am flexible on this point.

See above.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell