avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Charter.txt
Date Thu, 05 Dec 2002 23:51:33 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>Looking at the three proposals, can we take pieces from all?
>>* Auto PMC membership for committers who have been active for
>>  at least six months.
>>* Charter and Bylaw voting time period is a week
>>* A motion passes with 2/3 majority vote of quorum
>>* In the event that quorum cannot be met, voting remains open
>>  until quorum is met.
>>* Size of quorum shall be [insert your percentage here], with
>>  a floor of 3 people (i.e. if percentage of PMC is less than
>>   three, then Quorum is still 3)
>

> So basically, the three variables are:
>
>    1) Minimum period within which to count votes [1 week]
>    2) The definition of a quorum (3+, 33%, 50%)  [  ?   ]
>    3) Percentage required to carry the vote      [ 66%  ]
>
> Is that correct?

That's what I am thinking.  The 3+ is an absolute minimum.  I.e.
if Quorum is 33% and there are only 6 PMC members, quorum is still
3 (i.e. 50% of the PMC).  As the PMC grows to something like 21,
33% is 7, so that is used instead of the 3.

I personally would prefer 50% Quorum to have better representation,
but I am not going to obstruct something else.  (I think that 33%
should be considered an absolute minimum percentage).

Also, as with most communities using quorum (including home owners
associations) there is the idea of a rolling time period.  I.e.
voting remains open as long as necessary to reach quorum--even if
it exceeds the 1 week period.