avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Avalon voting process
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2002 23:43:42 GMT

Berin Loritsch wrote:
> From: Stephen McConnell [mailto:mcconnell@apache.org]
>
> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>

>>One addendum I want to make clear.
>>
>>In addition to the text on Incubator's voting page,
>>I highly recommend the following stipulation:
>>
>>*****  ALL vetoes MUST be accompanied with a reasonable
>>explanation of the grievance AND a counter proposal that
>>would remedy the situation.  Any veto that fails to
>>comply with BOTH of those requirements is invalid.
>
> +1
>
>>Vetoes referring to code must have a _technical_ reason.
>>Vetoes referring to PMC modification of the charter and
>>bylaws must have a reasonable political/legal reason.
>>

> -1
>
> No vetos on PMC.
> Period.
>
> It this message getting though ?
>
> Calm down.  I am not your enemy.  Is that message getting
> through?

Stephen, shouting will not get your ideas heard, and *more* important,
it will not let the ideas from *others* be understood to you.

     You have to understand before wanting to be understood.

One more clarification.
Consesus is not majority ruling. Apache way is about respect to *all*
community members and their opinions, and finding common ground.

This concept is very important. If am OS community lacks the will to be
united, it will fall apart, no matter what decisions the majority would
take. Deadlocks should be dealt with reasoning, not voting; if the
community is broken, no majority vote will fix it. Extreme Apache
solution to deadlocks? Forks. That are so painful that one would think a
lot before going through it.

When you follow the rules to the letter but loose the spirit, they lack
force.

   "The surgery was a perfect success, but the patient died."

             - verba volant, scripta manent -