avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject Re: JSR on metadata
Date Mon, 09 Dec 2002 08:03:39 GMT
On Mon, 9 Dec 2002 08:07, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> >>JSR 175 - A Metadata Facility for the JavaTM Programming Language
> >>
> >>I hear that the time schedule is probably Q4-2003 (release of JDK 1.5
> >>aka tigris),
> >
> > you mean tiger ? :)
>
> Yeah, sorry, living with jon is getting me too much exposure on
> tigris.org :-)

:)

> >>might be worth keep an eye on... BTW, do we have anyone
> >>from avalon in that expert group? in case not, are there volunteers for
> >>that?
> >
> > Essentially what it comes down to is storing runtime attributes/javadoc
> > tags in .class files. Checkout commons-attributes (or XDoclet) for an
> > example under development.
>
> Do you know if those projects are talking with that JSR? it would be a
> shame to duplicate efforts.

I believe the JSR was kicked off due to these projects. ie XDoclet+EJBDoclet
and then BEAs version combined with .NETs attributes was where it came from.
However I don't think any of these guys are on the EG but they are tracking
it I believe and I think are going to work towards it when it comes out.
Essentially commons-attributes is a facade that will allow metadata to be
sucked out of multiple sources I think.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald