avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Context Defined
Date Sun, 08 Dec 2002 01:58:51 GMT
Lets simplify a bit.

Assume that we ignore syntactic sugar and access data via "well defined"
entrys. So rather than

((FooContext)context).getFooDirectory()

we use

(File)context.get( "foo:directory" );

And lets also assume that there are few (if any?) reasonable use cases where
you would cast a context to multiple different types because domain specific
services don't tend to cross multiple domains. Last time this was proposed,
no one was able to come up with a viable use case for this. So this means
code like the following is not really an approved approach.

((FooContext)context).getFooDirectory()
((BarContext)context).getBarDirectory()

If you make those above assumptions then you have just defined Context as
defined by Info. See;

http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/excalibur/info/
http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/excalibur/info/context.html

--