avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject Re: [vote] context key string format
Date Mon, 02 Dec 2002 23:33:18 GMT
On Tue, 3 Dec 2002 10:10, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> And with respect to new development, I don't believe that I imagined other
> folks supporting the idea of using RFC 2141, and using the NID and NSS to
> address sub-contexts, and to provide the flexibility for the sub-contexts
> to determine whether or not they want to parse the NSS or just use it as a
> lookup key.
>
> The ability to federate multiple service providers within a context is a
> simple, elegant and powerful approach.  The overhead is minimal, the
> approach is consistent.

Federated context contributors for data based entrys in context is fine. There
does not need to be any parsing of lookup keys to do such stuff though. They
are independent concerns.

> OK, so then you do agree with "separating", just not "parsing"?  Fine.
> Then don't define any of the provided contexts to parse their NSS.

It is a convention for the lookup key and not a requirement for type of
resource. If you want we could expand the idea of a entry to have one more
component "intention" which may be parsed (or may not).

So for example our Entrys would look like

<entry key="foo" type="java.io.File" intention="avalon:base-dir"/>

then code looks like

public void contextualize( final Context context )
{
  m_baseDir = (File)context.get( "foo" );
}

> > Prefixing everything with "urn:" is unecessary noise.
>
> The prefix is part of RFC 2141.

Andthat does not stop iut being unecessary noise.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
| Contrary to popular belief, UNIX is user-friendly. It   |
| just happens to be selective on who it makes friendship |
| with.                                                   |
|                       - Richard Cook                    |