avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject Re: [vote] context key string format
Date Mon, 02 Dec 2002 22:54:30 GMT
On Tue, 3 Dec 2002 05:13, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> I saw Pete's comments.  I, personally, don't agree with him and I didn't
> see him veto the approach, hence my summary.

If need be I will ;)

> By parsable, I mean in accordance with the RFC into the urn:NID:NSS parts.
> The NID gets you to the namespace, which should be useful for scalable
> container context and with component registration, the NSS is handled by
> the namespace and can certainly be a simple key.  In other words, the
> contract for the NSS is provided by the namespace definition, and can be as
> restrictive as desired.

We have spent a lot of time removing the need for parsed lookup keys for
ServiceManager/ComponentManager. We have moved to a set of recomended
conventions (postfix with "/" then a discriminator) but they are just that -
recomendations. They are not enforced or required in many containers.

Separating out namespace from local name using a ":" is already accepted as a
convention I believe. Prefixing everything with "urn:" is unecessary noise.
Theres no problem if people choose to not follow the convention but we will
support them better if they do.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald