avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Darrell DeBoer <darr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Context: usage recommendations? ( Re: [SUMMARY] Context )
Date Mon, 02 Dec 2002 12:29:07 GMT
On Mon, 2 Dec 2002 22:14, Peter Donald wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Dec 2002 22:38, Darrell DeBoer wrote:
> > I'm not sure that this is a great example. The MailetContext shares
> > little in common with the Avalon Context, other than a name. It's the way
> > that a MailetContainer (potentially very different from an Avalon
> > Container) provides contextual information to a Mailet, which is a
> > domain-specific component running in a well-defined environment.
>
> That pretty much defines the purpose of Avalons context ;)
>
> ie Take the ServletContext and remove configuration mechanisms (or
> Configuration/Parameters in Avaloon terms) and service provision mechanisms
> (or ServiceManager/ComponentManager in Avalon terms) and you are left with
> what should remain in the context.

Taking a look, you're correct; my mistake. I was actually thinking of the
ServletRequest and ServletResponse interfaces, not the ServletContext itself.

I don't have a firm or fixed view on this, and I'm sure we haven't decided one
way or another in james-dev. There are a few things we could look at moving
off the MailetContext interface, since they are more like MailServices.
Things like "bounce()" and "sendMail()" are examples. I'm jumping the gun of
course, since we've sworn not to talk about this until 2.1 final is out.
Back to the IMAP proposal...

--
cheers,
Darrell DeBoer