avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@citi-us.com>
Subject RE: [Proposal] PMC Resolution Voting Process
Date Fri, 06 Dec 2002 18:29:21 GMT
Overall this is very good, and quite steeped in "legalese".
Nevertheless, there are a couple of minor tweaks I have.

> From: Stephen McConnell [mailto:mcconnell@apache.org]

<snip/>

>    (c) Normal Majority Vote
>
>        A vote undertaken within the scope of a Normal Vote as defined
>        by definition [4] shall require a 50% majority before the vote
>        may be considered as binding, shall be subject to the quorum
>        calculations as defined under Article 1 (b), vote duration
>        as defined by Article 1 (e), and validity shall be subject to
>        reasonable engagement towards actions as defined under the
>        voting preconditions of Article 1 (a), where the notion of
>        reasonable shall rest with the PMC Chair.

The definition of majority means more than 50%.  Strictly speaking, 50%
means deadlock.  It should read "shall require greater than 50% majority"
or "shall require 51% majority".

>    (e) Vote Duration
>
>        Any vote conducted by the PMC may be closed within 7
> days of its
>        initiation providing that quorum has been met in
> accordance with
>        Article 1 (b).  A vote not meeting quorum during the initial 7
>        day period shall default to a 14 day duration.  On
> expiration of
>        a 14 day vote duration, if quorum has not been achieved, the
>        vote shall be consider as s failed vote.

                                  ^^^

"as a failed vote"

>    (f) Post-conditions to Voting
>
>        A vote shall be concluded by a result announcement presented by
>        email under a thread commencing by the "[VOTE-RESULT]" tag with
>        the message title.  The PMC Chair count shall stands as the
>        final authority on vote counts. Non announcement of a vote
>        result by the chair within 60 days of the initiation of a vote
>        shall render the vote null and void.

Generally speaking, I like the post-condition.  However it leaves too much
open for the Chair not doing his job.  For instance, if all PMC members
except the chair voted for a proposal and the chair voted against the
proposal, all he would have to do is sit on the results for 60 days to
make the proposal void.

I would put the responsibility on the PMC as a whole instead of merely
one person.  It puts the power back into the community--preserving
a certain balance of power.