avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@citi-us.com>
Subject RE: Our site is too big
Date Fri, 27 Dec 2002 13:18:05 GMT
> From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]
> >
> > Does Forrest have good documentation on getting it to work
> and installed?
>
> Yes.
>
> http://xml.apache.org/forrest/your-project.html
>
> Basically untar it, set the FORREST_HOME and add the bin to the path,
> and it's done. To use the CVS version, just run "build" first.
>
> To create a new site, cd into the dir and run "forrest seed".

Sounds good.  I'll take a look.

> > That is my concern.  If we offload the tools to a third
> party, I don't
> > want to have to wrestle with the tool we choose.  Maven is
> a *build* tool,
> > and from what I understand, can delegate to Forrest for doc
> generation.
> > So as long as it is made **really*easy** for the user to
> get up and running,
> > I am behind it.
>
> Both Centipede and Maven can use Forrest for doc generation.
> Centipede uses it standard, while Maven need a plugin.
> Centipede also doenloads any plugin needed automatically.
>
> IMHO using Centipede as a build tool coupled with Forrest is
> the easiest
> for the user, and the most flexible for us, but that's MHO. Gump also
> can run centipede projects, while Maven projects are run only
> using the
> generated ant file.

The last time I tried centipede, it was a pain to get working.
Maven has an easy declaritive document describing meta-info
necessary for building the project.  It is very intuitive.

Centipede made me feel like I was forced into a box I didn't
like for the directory structure.  It just wasn't a pleasant
experience.  OTOH, I haven't looked at Centipede in quite
a while.  What has changed with it?

> DISCLAIMER: I'm the original author of Centipede.

I know. ;P