avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@citi-us.com>
Subject RE: PMC votes ( Re: [Vote] Phoenix 4.0.3 release.)
Date Thu, 19 Dec 2002 14:06:08 GMT
> From: Stephen McConnell [mailto:mcconnell@apache.org]
>
> If you want something to be considered as ratified by the PMC
> then the
> PMC have to vote on it on the PMC list - otherwise its not a
> PMC vote.
>  Its not a secrecy issue - its a procedural point. If a PMC member is
> subscribed to the PMC list and active and attentive to PMC issues -
> there is nothing that states that the member must also follow
> day to day
> procedings on the dev list.  Secondly, a PMC member has to right to
> voice a different opinion as a PMC member as compared with
> their role as
> a committer.  I really does not matter if that makes sence or
> not - what
> matters is that a PMC member has responsibilites over and above a
> committer - and those responsibiliites may result in a
> different opinions.

Huh?

You lost me Steve.  I personally don't think that releases should
be decided on the PMC list.  A release is something we all should
be excited about, and support.  That's the community side of me
speaking.

I don't recall seeing anything in writing that explicitly stated
that all releases have to be decided on the PMC list.  If it is
stated that way in the Apache Bylaws, then that is something the
PMC needs to take up with the board so that we can that question
resolved.  I seriously doubt that *all* PMC decisions have to
reside on the PMC list.

> Please don't interprit this as Steve saying he will vote different on
> the PMC list as compared to the committer list - all I'm
> saying is that
> if your going to do something - di it properly based on the structure
> that has been put in place.

We only agreed on how to agree.  We didn't outline any procedures
that are adopted by the community on how releases work.  Perhaps we
need to address that.