avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@citi-us.com>
Subject RE: Exceptions (was: RE: [Avalon4:PROPOSAL] Context Consensus)
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2002 19:37:41 GMT
> From: Leo Sutic [mailto:leo.sutic@inspireinfrastructure.com]
>
> > From: Noel J. Bergman [mailto:noel@devtech.com]
> >
> > > I prefer for the component to [do] the cast and explode if
> > it fails.
> > > The responsibility is on the container to catch and log the
> > exception.
> >
> > The contract throws ContextException.  There is nothing in
> > the API contract that says that a container must
> > intelligently handle ClassCastException, or what it might
> > mean semantically.
>
> True, but here we're really going into whether RuntimeExceptions
> should be tested for and caught. In the end I guess it just matters
> how much defensive programming you want to put in. Your example
> is too much for me to accept as a coding guideline, but if you
> want to write code that way...

A *Container* needs to be able to recover from ALL exceptions
thrown by components.  This is a real practical requirement.  If
a poorly written optional component introduces a NullPointerException
or a ClassCastException, and the container does not catch it and
recover from it then the whole application will fail.

It is a QoS (Quality of Service) issue.