avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@citi-us.com>
Subject RE: gump entry for containerkit
Date Mon, 09 Dec 2002 18:40:17 GMT
> From: Stephen McConnell [mailto:mcconnell@apache.org]
>
> It very much concerns me where there is considerable pressure on one
> hand to be non-devisive (i.e. no -1s) and on the otherhand, the
> suggestion that someone thinks that the PMC in general thinks its not
> our problem.  Yes it is our problem - the only issue is when
> do we bite
> the bullet and bring Phoenix into Avalon. That will require
> effort and
> resource and will.  I don't think those ingridients will be available
> until we get the container API in place.  In the meantime we have two
>
>   (b) the easy option
>
>        Let Phoenix development continue in an independent path.
>
>   (a) the hard option
>
>        Stop further divergence of Phoenix.
>
> Cheers, Steve.

My suggestion is to bring up the issue on the Pheonix dev list,
and require them to bring Phoenix into a compilable and consistent
build.

As to option "a" versus "b", I don't want to stand in the way of
further development, but we need to make sure the standards are
the same.

As it stands *now* with the current understanding of the contracts
(or lack thereof) of Avalon Framework 4.1 compliance, Phoenix _is_
Avalon Framework compatible.  That is the only level of compatibility
that is guaranteed for Phoenix at this time.

As we further refine what our contracts are, we need to communicate
those issues to the Phoenix Dev list.

I suggest we give the Phoenix developers one week to make it stop
the GUMP build errors.  If it cannot, we revert the code base to
the last CVS date that it was working.

I know there are Phoenix developers who can pick up where Peter
left off.  I have a feeling he was in the midst of a bunch of
changes/updates to Phoenix/Info when his commit privs were
suspended.  It presents a problem in that Phoenix development
has essentially stopped in the middle of a change.