avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@citi-us.com>
Subject RE: [Avalon5] Avalon <-> Jakarta Commons Logging and Configuration
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2002 13:56:25 GMT
> From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]
>
> Jakarta Commons is recreating, piece by piece, various parts
> of Avalon
> and more than once I've heard strong suggestions that all
> should follow
> that "standard".
>
> How should we deal with these issues?
>
> Would it make sense to use Commons Logging interfaces and work with
> Commons configuration on Avalon 5?
>
> Here is a FW of a mail just posted on turbine-dev. Turbine is
> one of our
> latest users.

<snip type="rather snippy remarks"/>

> Anyway, I will propose again to our list that we use the Logger
> interface somehow in the new Avalon 5, or try somehow to
> reunite the scism.
>
> Remember though that the fact that commons strongly opposes anything
> that has even a remote hint about avalon framework really
> doesn't help.

Ceki Gulcu (sp?) the author of Log4J has raised a number of issues
regarding Commons Logging, and most of the problems come with the
auto-discovery mechanism.  The Avalon implementation does not suffer
from these problems.

I asked Ceki what he felt about Avalon's logging abstraction, and
I explained to him what the architecture was.  He didn't have the
time to take a look, but based on my description he was happy that
it did not have all the installation and runtime problems
(architecturally) that Commons Logging does.

Furthermore, Commons Logging does not allow for container managed
logging targets because everything is statically accessible--and
circumvents our carefully planned IoC architecture.

Perhaps we should work with Ceki's document (the link escapes me)
and reference it when we write our FAQ entry.