avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@citi-us.com>
Subject RE: [Proposal:Avalon Site] Take advantage of avalon.apache.org
Date Fri, 27 Dec 2002 12:42:06 GMT
> From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]
> >
> > I think all of these changes will help us reduce the heavy weight of
> > the Avalon site, and bring things back into a place where we can
> > look and think like a single community again.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> Having a single place to keep all docs is A Good Thing.
>
> But IMO it's very important that sandbox stuff remains completely
> separated from the production stuff. This has created
> enourmous problems
> and tensions here, and I don't want to see it again.

I was thinking along the lines of:

avalon-site -- the general site with PMC and administrativa.
avalon-sandbox -- the code under development
avalon -- the released code.

> As for the avalon-site module, we could simply not have it.
> Reason:
>   1) all xdocs are in the "avalon" CVS

Some of those xdocs aren't Framework related.  The XDocs in there
should be focused on the project at hand.

>   2) all sandbox xdocs are in each project CVS dir

This is as it should be.  Associate your XDocs with your
project.

>   3) Forrest generates the site, and Forrest is to be
>      installed separately

Does it?  I could have swarn we have like three different doc
generation things....

>   4) we publish the site automatically with the forrest-bot
>
> Less CVS modules, less hastle, less problems.

Understandable.

> If we will have other CVS modules for subprojects, they will link
> between projects via full URLS, so that they can be generated and
> deployed separately. They have to be separate anyway, or they are not
> subprojects but part of the main project.

Right.