avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@citi-us.com>
Subject [Proposal:Procedure] Storing Proposals in CVS
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2002 18:05:59 GMT
Something we did back when we were releasing Avalon 4.0 (the
first time) that worked very well is we created a file to keep
track of issues that were important, but detracted from the
focus of the mailing list.  In essence they were discussions
that we needed to temporarily put on hold, and resume later.

Since it is hard to keep track of whatever the latest and
greatest proposal is on a mailing list due to all the inline
comments, I suggest we use the same mechanism to track what
the current state of a proposal is in CVS.

The concept is simple.  We have one file called
"tabled-discussions.txt" that has a bunch of entries in the
following format:

Topic: Should we use the "Tabled Discussions" format?
Resume Talks: After PMC charter creation
Comments:
  [bloritsch] Yes.  It would be helpful
  [jdetractor] No.  It is a waste of space

That way we can see what are some potential issues we need
to resolve later.  We can also see what the comments are
for the time being.

If the proposal is longer than a one-line question or a
very short paragraph (i.e. 2-3 sentences), put a reference
to an external document.  At the bottom of the document,
we can put two standard sections:

[PRO]

   - this is a favorable comment [bloritch]

[CON]

   - this is a dissenting comment [jdetractor]

The bulleted list would have the apache userid or a
email address so that we can keep track of who is of
what opinion.  It also allows the original proposer to
modify the original proposal in light of the comments.  Keep
in mind that the PRO/CON distinction is the _overall_ message
of the comment.  Included in the PRO comment might be some
constructive criticism to make it better.  Also, included in
a CON comment might be an endorsement of _part_ of the
proposal.