avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Roadmap for Component Deployment
Date Fri, 22 Nov 2002 21:53:59 GMT
Berin,

I see several ways to proceed.  One way that seems to be floating around is
to put existing code into sort of a maintenance mode until the new
container(s) are ready to replace them, and to focus the community on the
process of developing replacement(s).  Another is to begin to build the
common container framework, and use that common framework to morph the
existing containers into the desired container(s), continually proving that
the new framework works.

-----------------

> we had identified as the #1 need for Avalon 5
> is better container/component contracts.

:-)

> for Avalon ME (Micro Edition)
> I think the memory constraints rule [pooled and "factory" components] out.

OK, can you clarify this?

At first I thought that you were saying that pooling and factory pattern
imply greater memory constraints, with which I disagree. But then I read the
rest of your note, where you propose using
"http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/guide/jar/jar.html#Service%20Provider",
and since that approach uses a factory to construct the concrete provider,
you clearly are not discarding the factory pattern.  So I feel that I am
missing your real point.

	--- Noel