avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Single Avalon Implementation yes/no/why/how ( Re: CVS organization )
Date Thu, 21 Nov 2002 05:48:49 GMT
Peter,

I think that when it comes down to it, you are looking for a defined way to
address the idea that if a particular semantic is present in the
environment, that it is present in the same way in all implementations.
Depending upon the approach one wants to take, this can be via a text based
interface, a reflection based interface, or some combination.  But the goal
is the same.  No?

You are saying that regardless of which direction is chosen for
implementation, that as new important Contexts come up, they should be
well-defined so that implementors and consumers have the guidance necessary
to make reuse real, and in a container-independent fashion.

Am I correct that we agree on the concept, although the implementation is
unspecified?

> the vagueness of the Context contract makes it
> impossible for a consumer to write a container-
> independent component that uses the Context.

AIUI, what you mean is that without better contracts, even if the Context
interface is properly implemented, the concrete context handed to a
component may be semantically broken from the perspective of that component.
And you expect that by documenting well-defined specific contracts, that it
will enhance compatibility between contextualizable components and context
providers because both sides will know what is expected in a given semantic
domain.

I like your ideas for expressing such contracts, but I think that it helps
to also represent the concepts at an abstract level so that someone who
doesn't agree with your implementation still understands the perceived value
and goals.  And I thought that you presented those quite well, too.

	--- Noel