avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Regarding Phoenix, and my book
Date Fri, 22 Nov 2002 19:20:45 GMT
> All this turmoil and change couldn't be coming at a worse time.  I am
still
> we are now rendering a project in work obsolete before it is done.
> [Framework and Phoenix] have consumers and users.  I am _really_ glad
> we have a users list or we would be scaring off what few we have right
now.

Uh ... some of us users are here now because of the turmoil.  If you think
it has been hidden, you are seriously misled.  And, as a user,, I am
starting to feel better because I am starting to see the beginnings of a
plan to work together.

Phoenix is a real platform with customers (including me).  I don't believe
that it is going away.  Might there be a future implementation of Phoenix
that shares much more common code with other containers?  I would certainly
hope so.  But why do you feel that such an event is cause for concern?

> under Stefano's "Cooperate or else" proposal we would have
> to move Phoenix somewhere else.

I don't consider that to be a correct interpretation of the situation.  And
if that premise is incorrect, then the conclusions are wrong.

And I don't believe that the next stage of container development is going to
composed of large jumps off of cliffs.  I hope that it will be characterized
by incremental communal recognition, agreement, and merger of common
elements.  Stephen McConnell looks to have a nice list of starting points
for discussion, and Peter Donald has some, too.  If everyone can continue to
focus on making the possible happen then I think things will move forward
smartly.

	--- Noel