avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Royal <pro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [User Community Action Required] Re: Pete ousted?
Date Thu, 21 Nov 2002 08:19:05 GMT
On Wednesday, November 20, 2002, at 04:54  PM, Paul Hammant wrote:
> 1) Power's that be: Please let me appeal on Peter's behalf
>  and ask if you may see fit to look past this current episode.

I think the "powers that be" don't want to have to be known by that
hierarchy-sounding word (after the long discussion the other night at
the apache town mtg @ apachecon). From offline discussions, I believe
it is more than "this current episode"

> 2) I use Peter's projects in my open source / proprietary /
>  commercial applications.

I do to. Many people do. But as I've come to have a much greater
realization of in the past few days, Apache is about /FAR/ more than
just code. The community surrounding the code is priority 1.

> 3) I have been helped by Peter in the past. I found his help very
> useful.

All of my interactions with Peter have been very positive. I don't have
anything derogatory to say about the man.

> 4) Please let Peter return to his projects at Apache, he's not so bad.

My impression is that *THE ONLY THING* that Peter didn't do well enough
was "playing well (enough) with others". Peter is /such/ a fountain of
code, that it could be very difficult at times to be on equal footings.
Peter would appear to dominate projects that he's involved in, to the
detriment of building a community (at times). I *KNOW* that if any of
us were to sit down with him and have a face-to-face discussion, things
could be easily resolved. Email is just a very difficult medium at
times since you miss so much that is conveyed non-verbally when
discussing in person.

Peter, please remain. There are many of us that are able to work with
you. That _want_ to work with you.
-pete
--
peter royal -> proyal@apache.org