avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Sutic <leo.su...@inspireinfrastructure.com>
Subject RE: [vote] avalon's future [was Re: The Rules of Open-Source Programming]
Date Tue, 26 Nov 2002 16:03:12 GMT
Berin wrote:
 > Ok, ok all I did was take little comments from everybody and
 > tried to come up with a plan that might work for everyone.

No Berin, you *did* come up with the idea. Otherwise we define "coming up
with an idea" so narrow as to make t inapplicable to anything. Consider:

+ Windows XP home, Pro, server(?)
+ Windows 2K Pro, 2K Server, 2K Datacenter
+ Java2 ME, SE, EE
+ Hotspot JVM Client, Server
+ etc...

it's not like a tiered approach is something new.

Given the different needs:

1) A need for more features
2) A need to keep the minimal container simple (avoid overengineering)
3) Three scenarios: Simple, Embedded, Full-blast

Going for a tiered approach is among the top 5 choices for many, I'd think.
So us coming to a similar conclusion wasn't that weird.

/LS