avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Use a unified avalon-dev and avalon-user mailing list
Date Wed, 27 Nov 2002 18:52:33 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:
>>From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]
>>
>>I propose that we switch to a single avalon-dev and
>>avalon-user mailing
>>list.
>>
>>It enables us to follow better all that is happening in
>>avalon-land, and
>>is much more important now that we are working on a unified vision.
>>
>>Please cast your votes (on avalon-dev@jakarta.apache.org):
>>
>>mine: +1
>

> -1  We separated the mailing lists for a reason.  The user
> questions will get lost in all of the development threads,
> and the user won't get the answers they want.  With separate
> threads, we can properly support our users while we are
> embroiled in the design for Avalon 5 with ref. container.

Careful, Nicola used very bad wording: hs is not proposing to unify
*all* mail lists into one, he's proposing that we merge all development
mail lists into one and all users mail list into one and result in just
a single community of developers and a single community of users.

I see *great* value on this proposal as the first *real* step in doing
something to force people to collaborate.

Right now, with the excuse of caring about his users, phoenix is
effectively implementing stuff that is not decided by the avalon
community. This means that the avalon PMC has no legal oversight on
what's happening there. This is a serious concern. Bringing communities
back together might slow down things a little on phoenix land but it is
definately a good thing for Avalon in general.

And this is why I voted +1