avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Phoenix no longer reference container
Date Wed, 27 Nov 2002 01:40:26 GMT

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>> The process of smoothing out the differences between Phoenix Blocks
>> and Cocoon Blocks has yet to be done.
>

> Oh absolutely, but I didn't perceive Peter's intentions as 'smooting
> out the differences', but rather 'let's keep them separate'.

There is nothing to separate - Phoenix does not have a notion of blocks
- it did at one time but that got dropped in favor of the "application"
as a unit of deployment. The notion of a block is open to interpretation
and personally - I think that the old Phoenix notion was great - it was
only missing a more structured meta model - in particular the ability to
get block composite service and dependencies. That's now feasible - and
block IMHO is ready to come back to life. Based on the assembly, meta
and Merlin work related to deployment profiles - there is a lot of nice
stuff we can do to make the notion of blocks a viable and valuable
proposition. Cocoon needs it - heck - I need it. Forget about historic
usage of words - block is good - stick with it and lets get on with
delivery.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell