avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Phoenix no longer reference container
Date Tue, 26 Nov 2002 07:23:35 GMT

Peter Donald wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Nov 2002 15:31, Peter Donald wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 26 Nov 2002 11:04, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>>
>>>I agree with you that ECM is crappy code. And you know that in order to
>>>implement Cocoon Blocks, we'll need a much more modern (and thought-out)
>>>container and that in order to be able to do that, we might even allow
>>>some back-incompatible changes (for something like Cocoon 3.0) where it
>>>does make sense to break compatibility.
>>

> BTW - it may be best not to name them "Blocks". Phoenix already has the notion
> of blocks which is vastly different from what Cocoon proposes to use the term
> for. It would confusing to name two different concepts with identical names.
> Given that Phoenix (and it's predecessor) has been using the term since
> before I was involved in Avalon it may be best to rename Cocoon blocks to
> something else so as to avoid confusion from users.
>
> Suggestions;
>
> * Cocoon Packs (foo.pak or foo.pax or foo.cpk)
> * Cocoon Archives (foo.car)
> * Cocoon Modules (foo.mod)
> * Cocoon Libraries (foo.clb)
> * Cocoon Bags (foo.bag) (as in Bean Bags)
> * Cocoon Tins (foo.tin)
> * Cocoon Boxs (foo.box)

It's (almost) too late, we already have a blocks dir in CVS, and have
been talking a lot about "blocks".
Probably the extension will be ".cob"

Anyway, it seems that "Phoenix Blocks" are probably to be superceded by
"Avalon Components/Services", so it should not be a big problem.
Till now it has not been, since Cocoon and Phoenix do not (yet) overlap.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -