avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject [vote] avalon's future [was Re: The Rules of Open-Source Programming]
Date Tue, 26 Nov 2002 00:20:37 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>As an example [of leadership]: I still haven't gotten an answer as
>>to what Phoenix's future evolution as a project within Avalon is.
>>It appears that you [(Peter)] don't know, and I interpret that as
>>nobody knowing. Meaning that we have a project that has no clue
>>where it is going.
>

>>>From my perspective, you are missing what is arguably the single largest
> point.  Leo, aren't you part of the Avalon Community?  Why are you deferring
> to Peter for that answer?  Phoenix is not his project; it is yours.
> Collectively.
>
> What do YOU want for Phoenix's future?  Express your view(s).  Work within
> the community to build a consensus that you can accept.  THAT is leadership,
> and THAT the future of Phoenix.

I would like to see three containers, each one of them extending the one
underneath.

   - basic container
   - embeddable container
   - standalone container

the first should fit with the framework to provide a reasonable
lightweight system for simple avalon uses (no fancy stuff like pooling
or anything).

users of this basic implementation should be the people willing to learn
avalon or use it in their own stuff but without fancy features.

the second should be the juicy implementation of the avalon framework,
but should remain embeddable. Since it extends the basic framework,
every change applied to the framework reflects up.

users of this implementation will be projects that use avalon
extensively but internally (as an embedded COP system)

the third should be the biggest implementation, extending the second and
providing standalone running capabilities.

users of this implementation will be projects that are run directly by
avalon with full IoC.

Tweety can be the first
A mix of Merlin and Fortress can be the second
Phoenix can be the third

Note that this is more a community vision than a technical vision. All
technical decisions will be made *after* this vote is taken.

So, do you like this vision? would you like it to happen?