avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The Rules of Open-Source Programming
Date Mon, 25 Nov 2002 19:23:14 GMT
Leo Sutic wrote:
> Stefano,
>
> while I appreciate your efforts to help Peter improve,
> I strongly believe that these discussions should be held
> as part of the dialog between the Apache board and Peter.

Good, but in that case, I will not be able to help since I'm not part of
that board.

> Yes, the board has some very valid cirticisms of Peter, as
> do you.

I find it *very sad* that such a great engineer has to go thru all this
shit having even a hard time understand *what happened* and *why*.

True, my brutal honesty might not be helpful for everybody, but I
respect Peter so much, in fact, to be able to tell him right in his
face, what I think about him, good an bad.

And do you know why? because when people did it with me, I learned *a
lot* even from myself and my abilities to be open to criticism.
Expecially criticism on human-related skills.

> But it is physically impossible to absorb the mass of issues
> that could be dragged up if we each individually tried to
> "improve Peter", even more impossible for Peter to respond
> to everything, ask for clarification, find some common ground
> and maybe solve the issues.

True.

> Questions:
>
> 1) Is a dialog between the board a Peter being held, with the
>    aim of resolving the issues that caused his suspension?

I honestly don't know. As I said, I'm not part of the ASF board. Sam,
Roy and Craig might want to say something about this.

> If so, I suggest that the issues you raised be made part of that
> discussion so that every issue can be deal with in a structured
> manner, without needless repetition or fragmentation.

But without public knowledge of what's happening.

What I fear is lack of transparency and I fear waves of "I could be
next" feelings. I also fear that keeping it closed it might become a
legendary thing where rumors grow without control.

This is why everybody suggested Peter to talk about what happened in the
open. His decision to ignore our suggestions doesn't really make me
think he has learned anything out of what happened. But I respect him
too much to stop.

(which might be considered a contraddiction of terms, but if you think
about it, ignoring somebody would be a sign of mis-respect much higher
than trying to suggest something to somebody)

> 2) Progress? This has dragged on for a full week already.
>    I consider a simple yes/no response enough.

yes.

Progress is the community reaction. Everyone of you started to think
about how things worked around here and I'm pretty sure that avalon will
follow a convergence path instead of a divergence path (as it was
previously done). This is big progress. I care about the community much
more than I care about code, technical decisions or even single individuals.

Why? because healthy communities last longer and adapt quickly to
environmental changes.

Unlike individuals.