avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Lookup string format
Date Mon, 25 Nov 2002 18:50:56 GMT

Berin Loritsch wrote:

>>From: Stephen McConnell [mailto:mcconnell@apache.org]
>>
>>Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>

>>>However, if Avalon is going to adopt a <domain> ":" <key>
>>>

>>notion, then I
>>

>>>suggest that Avalon vote to adopt RFC 2141, and incorporate
>>>

>>it by reference.
>>

>>>Incorporating RFC 2141 will save you from having to go
>>>

>>through all of the
>>

>>>arguments already dealt with during the production of the
>>>

>>RFC, and provides
>>

>>>more detailed and specific information necessary for users
>>>

>>and implementers.
>>

>>Applying RFC 2141 is fine from my point of view.  As such I need to
>>update the examples I provided earlier to reflect marlin and phoenix
>>as sub domains of the Avalon domain.
>>

>Wouldn't it be fine to have "avalon:" as the root?  Like this:
>
>avalon:home.work
>avalon:merlin:something-special.whatever
>avalon:phoenix:something-solid.xxx
>
>Why make the string longer than it needs to be?

I would tend to agree - after reading through RFC 2141 my initial
reaction was to cosider the domain compoent  as "apache:avalon:...",
however, it is also valid to say that we are dealing with things that
are relative to the Context interface which is implicitly "avalon" as
root.  As such your suggestion is completely valid.

Cheers, Steve.

>--

Stephen J. McConnell

OSM SARL