avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [Proposal] Phoenix no longer reference container
Date Fri, 22 Nov 2002 14:14:47 GMT
Leo Sutic wrote:

> Meaning that (as I interpret it), as long as Phoenix has a
>
>  + defined scope based on concensus.
>
>  + sticks to that scope
>
>  + clear understanding of its relation to Avalon
>
> we should be fine.

+1

> A question: what is the smallest unit that can claim concensus?

ASF project level.  Consensus can include any number of "don't care
votes", but should include three +1 votes.

> Avalon does not need the consensus of Jakarta-Commons, we can
> vote ourselves. At the same time, I don't want one person
> creating a subproject of Avalon, declaring that he owns that
> code and that his own opinion is equal to concensus.
>
> In short, is there any way to decouple Phoenix from Avalon
> in such a way so that *all* PMC members need not vote on
> *every* change to Phoenix, yet keep Phoenix from sliding
> away to a little isolated group of its own?

A point of order.  No PMC member is *ever* required to vote on *any*
specific change.  If what you desire is a mechanism by which a specific
PMC member is *excluded* from voting on a specific change, then you need
to either propose a new top level project for Phoenix, or find another
home for this code.

Separate code bases with separate communities should be separate
projects.  Independent of the size of the codebase, if the size of the
community is only a few people, then it is not an ASF project.  Such
efforts can be pursued outside of the ASF, be pursued inside the
Incubator, or be incorporated inside an existing community – as long as
all participants in that larger community are treated as peers.

- Sam Ruby