avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: On Multiple Containers
Date Thu, 21 Nov 2002 21:32:41 GMT

Berin Loritsch wrote:
[...]
> We need to move from ECM, and the choice is really Fortress
> or Merlin.  Both have some really cool things about them,
> as well as some things that detract from them.
>
> At this point, we need to unify the *standards*.  Once we
> have standards, we can piece together the reference
> implementation.  In the meantime, Fortress and Merlin have
> earned a right to exist--the question is where.

The point now IMHO is to set the goal. You seem to see a convergence of
Fortress and Merlin. *This* is the important piece of information.
You are willing, Stefan is willing, and cooperation is working well now.

Now, we can discuss at lenghts on how to do it, and it can take a lot of
work done parallely and collaborately as it's now, but, again, it's the
goal that is important.

When a project doesn't understand what to do, it creates proposals, and
each "steal" from the other the best bits, till at one point they are so
similar that only one remains.
*Then* the product is ready, not before.

Instead of talking about a conceptual need of one or multiple
containers, let's see what we now have:
  * Phoenix
  * Merlin
  * Fortress

Converge Fortress and Merlin and we have:
  * Phoenix
  * Merlin's Fortress

Then we can discuss about the differences with Phoenix and decide.

Community-wise   there needs to be one container
Flexibility-wise there can be multiple containers

Reality: Avalon can actually get to a single container release and
multiple evolving proposals. It's more than a possibility, it's
something being worked on.

The worse it can be is to have two contrainers: Phoenix and Merlin's
Fortress, but I think that integration can be worked out with time.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -