avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: On Multiple Containers
Date Thu, 21 Nov 2002 21:25:45 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Throwing away hard work and community development for a clean
> slate isn't very good either.

Please, tell me: why are you becoming defensive?

My question was: why can't we agree on working toward *ONE*
implementation of the framework that fits everybody's needs (like we do
in Cocoon)?

And the end of your reply was the above sentence.

Let me be brutally honest with you: the perception I get from Avalon is
that it has become a 'visibility contest'.

There is *NOTHING* technical into that. I'm worried, the projects that
depend on avalon are worried, the ASF board is worried.

Can we please start doing something for this?

There is one framework, there should be one implementation in-house and
as many as you like outside this community. I'm fine with this.

So, let's start from the functionalities that all container users want
and let's build a community from that. Code will come. Code will be
reused from what avalon already produced. What will be thrown away
hopefully is the "I'll do my own thing since we can't reach consensus"
attitude.

So, ask my simple question: would you (Berin and each one of you) like
to work on a single avalon container that serves all of your needs?

I'm not saying it's easy, I'm saying that it's the only way I see we can
resume the health of this community.