avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Avalon] Call for Revote: Too much voted on in too little time.
Date Wed, 20 Nov 2002 06:46:15 GMT

Leif Mortenson wrote:
>    I am also a strong +1 on re-voting as well.  The idea of a PMC now
> sounds good, but I
> too would really like to be able to see the charter and bylaws in
> writing before effectively
> "signing" them.

What has been voted and therefore signed, is just the creation of a PMC
that will still have to create its bylaws and charter.

There is no need to revote, because new charter and bylaws were still
not voted; it takes a PMC to vote them, and now that there is one, we
finally can do it.

So basically we have not "signed" charter and bylaws, we still have to
do them. We just "signed" for the creation of an Avalon PMC to give
oversight.

[...]

>    Since the vote, I have come to understand what the PMC will entail.
> But the information
> is still scattered across several posts over the last week.   I agree
> with Berin that it would
> be wise to get this all written down in one place.  It can then be
> modified in line.  CVS is
> great for this.   That way, we all know what we are voting on.

Yes.

As an example, look at this STATUS file:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/incubator/STATUS?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

We should have one as well, and use it to track current discussions and
votes. It will also be regularly posted on the list as a summary of the
status of the project.

Shall we start it in a new clean "avalon" CVS module?

>    I want nothing more than to get through this so that we can all get
> back to the real reason
> why we are all here.   But lets please take the time to do it right.

Yes, let's take the time needed.

> If even one of us is left
> feeling that they were forced into something and ends up leaving, that
> would be a loss for
> Avalon as a whole.

Yes. Everyone, please share your views here on the list, let's discuss
openly and frankly, with the maximum respect and understanding.
There is no better medicine in this case than goodwill.

                        -oOo-

I want to add, that the reason why I've accepted the nomination, is
because I am the last person here. As many have written, there are many
people with more merits relative to Avalon.

By leaving all big Avalon committers out of this role, it's possible
that you all will work as peers, and be completely free to discuss and
decide about Avalon's future on the same level.

So please, let's not think that the creation of the PMC is something
done and finished. It's an empty box, and it needs the help from you all
to get it filled.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -