avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Breaking up Avalon
Date Mon, 18 Nov 2002 07:58:36 GMT

Paul Hammant wrote:
>>+1 for Phoenix becoming a top level project.
>

> As well ....
>
>   * Excalibur bits go to Commons or elsewhere, apart from the bits used by one or other
container,
>   which go with that container.

As well as Cornerstone stuff IMHO.
This seems to have a good reception on the Turbine list too and by Peter
Donald which is on the Commons PMC.

>   * Merlin leaves Avalon CVS.

Why is this :-?

It has been proposed that is go in a ./scratchpad dir, and I don't see
why it has to be kicked out.

The same should IMHO be applied for all other containers except Phoenix
which is live and well and ECM (in graveyard mode?).

>   * Logkit goes to top level?

I see it as an Avalon Component, thus to go into Commons, but other
views and suggestions are welcome.

> Avalon becomes Avalon-Framework, which I've said over and over again is the only level
at which
> compataibility between containers is guaranteed (and that we all agree on).  Some containers
have
> xml component lacing, some another type of xml lacing, yet others have _no_ meta data.
 All are
> fine. Focus people.

This is in line with my proposal.

> No people from the new phoenix group do not have automatic rights on commit to Avalon.
If they
> were there (committing before) they remain IMHO.

I don't see why.

Actually IMVHO exactly the opposite seems more sensible.
IE all Phoenix committers should remain committers also in framework if
they wish to, while I would think that committers that have not
partecipated in Phoenix would not have automatic rights on Phoenix.

As I have already told Peter, I won't ask to "remain" committer of
Phoenix, because I have never really partecipated in it with actual code.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

             - verba volant, scripta manent -