avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: getting-started.xml
Date Fri, 15 Nov 2002 09:46:10 GMT

Stephen McConnell wrote:

> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>

>> Stephen McConnell wrote:

>>> Totally agree on the ECM point - however - I concerned about the very
>>> high learning curve the Phoenix represents in terms of an entry
>>> point. Ok - on Fortress and Merlin there isn't a trealease status for
>>> good reasons.  On Tweety I think the scenario is different bacause I
>>> don't think Tweety should be released - it should be part of the
>>> getting started with Avalon walk though.  I.e. is about eduction and
>>> delivering concrete examples.  Does the publication of good
>>> informative and eductional content require that we go through a
>>> product release procedure?  Surely not.
>>
>> Actually we do, since it's not only documentation but a working
>> implementation of the framework.
>>
>> We also should decide where it goes, and some have hinted it could go
>> side by side with the framework, although not being in the same package.
>> IMVHO it could be used as a simple reference implementation of the
>> framework concepts and contracts.
>
> In general I agree.  I do however have a problem with referencing Tweety
> as a reference implementation.  The reason is that Tweety demonstrates a
> flat notion of component deployment - in that it does not have any
> notion of how to resolve things like dependecies.  Without a full
> implememtation of the Avalon component model - it really cannot be
> classed as a refernce.

Correct. However notice that Tweety also has "Egg.java", which is even
simpler...

I tend to see "reference" not as the complete reference but as snippets
of it... doesn't make perfect sense though :-|

> In fact, I have a problem with classifying any
> Avalon container as a reference - Foress does not handle depedencies,
> Merlin does not handle lifestyle based on marker interfaces, Phoenix
> does not handle lifestyle at all.  I.e. reference implementation is a
> goal that no container has reached just yet.

Probably it's a naming issue then, dunno.

Reference in a way that it acts as a reference to at least one aspect of
the Avalon Framework.

   Egg for example can be used as a reference to lifecycle.
   Tweety as a reference to Container can be a component.

How would you call it? I have difficulty in expressing the concept,
please help.

>> Continuing the past proposal about a new unified CVS, thinking out loud:
>>
>>   ./src/framework/**.java
>>   ./src/reference/**.java
>>   ./src/util/**.java
>>
>>   ./scratchpad/src/merlin2/**.java
>>   ./scratchpad/src/fortress/**.java
>>
>> Thoughts?
>

> Abstracting up just for a moment - yes I'm totally ok with a unified
> CVS, and I'm all for a scratchpad on the basis that a scatchpad holds
> all of the non-released projects (Avalon wide).
>
> Cheers, Steve.
>
> p.s. looks like the subject of this thread was fortuitous
>
> ;-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -