avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Federico Barbieri <f...@betaversion.org>
Subject Re: [Avalon PMC] was Avalon PMC
Date Thu, 14 Nov 2002 18:50:35 GMT
Stephen McConnell wrote:

> Federico Barbieri wrote:

>>> Woops - I posted a request and redirected the thread as well which
>>> was a little inconsistent of me.
>>> I suggest we continue on this thread.
>>>
>>> Let me start of with a rsponse which is based on the resolution
>>> currently under a vote:
>>>
>>>   * Avalon is the content currently assigned under the Jakarta Apache
>>>     Project Avalon sub-project
>>>
>>>     - the framework
>>>     - logkit
>>>     - excalibur
>>>     - pheonix
>>>     - avalon-apps
>>>     - cornerstone
>>>
>>>   * The proposed resolution calls for migration of this content and
>>>     rationalization.
>>>
>>> There has already been discussion on this - mainly different
>>> throughts on the approach. But it is safe to say that the disucssion
>>> hasn't gone very deep at this stage. Cheers, Steve.
>>

>> I thought there was a discussion going on about what should be avalon
>> pmc responability and waht not. If so the options are:
>>
>> A - to found the PMC you need to sign a liability form:
>>    1 - you know which project will be avalon pmc and which commons or
>> incubator *or*
>>    2 - you sign for all avalon related projects. When you have a
>> better picture of the organization you update the form as common
>> and/or incubator takes resposability for what's moved there
>> B - you may have a PMC without signing anything so you can take your
>> time to decide things and sign later.
>
> Ths process has been initiated based on the the discussion here under
> the thread "Thoughts on an Avalon PMC".

I've been through (most) of it in the last days. I know many people are
supporting this move and I'm happy about it. That is not the point.
I'm trying to clarify (to myself at least) the legal process involved.

>> I don't know if there is a choice between A and B. That was my only
>> concern. Do you have details on this?
>
> Lets' assume for the moment that I may have a disagreement concerning
> the question.
> :-)
> Given the active engagement of lots of people both within and up the
> chain of responsibility, I thihk you will find that the process is
> completely in line with the Apache process for PMC formation.  This is
> not to say that the work is done - because there is still much to do
> on the area of reorganization and my guess is that this isn't
> something we will agree on overnight.  It will be much more a case of
> open deliberation and constructive attempts at the developoment of
> concensus on the subject.  In parrallel, there are already activities
> in place to facilitiate the migration of some of the content of Avalon
> - in particular, some of the components in Excalibur are likely to
> kmore rapisdly to Commons and some of the applications in the Avalon
> Apps area already well into processes that would facilitate igration
> out of the Avalon.

I don't understand your disagreement... It could just be I'm digital and
you're analog thou... :)

My suggestion is to start discussing what should or should not be under
the Avalon PMC, when and how.  The sooner you decide this the better.

fede