avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: services, bundles and versioning
Date Thu, 14 Nov 2002 16:06:31 GMT

Peter Donald wrote:

>On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 11:13, Greg Steuck wrote:
>

>>Versioning in Avalon.
>>
>>The only place in Avalon where versioning I see applies is component
>>versioning. But we have better ways of determining component
>>compatibility: component roles. So, instead of creating versioned
>>interfaces we simply create *different* interfaces (java
>>interfaces).
>>

>Our initial approach was versioned interfaces but that ultimately failed and
>everyone used the 1.0 version except in a few rare cases.

What is the failure that you are refering to?  I would suggest that the
usage of version 1.0 is less to do with functional untility and musch
more to the degree of rigure applied to implemetation and service
versioning.

>So effectively
>thats what we have moved towards.

In the context - who is we ?

:-)

>>    Jakob> this (.NET) I think ressembles more the shared object (or
>>    Jakob> dll) view, where you first load the shared object and then
>>    Jakob> look into the shared object to find the function pointer (or
>>    Jakob> in our case the type).
>>
>>Anybody else feeling that those are hacks from pre-historic era of
>>weakly typed dynamic libraries don't apply anymore?
>>

>Versioning of libraries is something that is important IMHO. We do it in some
>cases with jars that conform to the JDK1.3 "Optional Package" Specification
>(aka 1.2 Extension mechanism). And I thing we should version libraries to a
>greater deal. The main reason is that then the container can detect and deal
>with versioning conflicts that may only become apparent when application is
>running otherwise.

+1
in terms of jar version management (which is seperate concern from the
management of component implemetation versining and versioned services).

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell

OSM SARL