avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: PMC et al
Date Thu, 14 Nov 2002 14:17:11 GMT

Federico Barbieri wrote:

> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>

>> Federico Barbieri wrote:
>>
>>> Anyow could you give me a more specific example of what would be
>>> different in the Jakarta and Avalon PMC?
>>

>> A PMC by the people, for the people.
>>
>> By this I mean a PMC composed of members of the Avalon community
>> working to better server the members of the Avalon Community, and the
>> development of that community in the context of Apache goals and
>> culture.
>

> That is a group of people 1) legally responsable for the avalon code
> 2) directly in contact with the board and the community 3) lead and
> manage the decision making process in the Avalon community. This could
> not be done by the current Jakarta PMC 'cause 1) they don't want/can't
> be legally responsable for all the Jakarta code 2) live 2 levels away
> for the community 3) do not have time and resource to lead and manage
> every community.
>
> I like that.

Me too - and something I really like is that this happening in
conjunction with the Incubator, Apache commons, etc.  This makes it much
easier for the Avalon PMC to pull in support from other places and deal
constructively will the migration and reorganization process .

> Don't like avalon.apache.org thou (I know I'm a PITA :).

How about united.apache.org :-)

> would it be possible to have a PMC without moving URL? I know you
> don't probally care so much for the domain name but stating that would
> quite help at least for the infostructure guys.

Its already been made clear that we can maintain all of the existing
URLs (comments from Jakarta and Board members) .  We don't want to break
anything (code or web links) used by our user community - but there is
somethinig new emerging - but that's about a "united avalon" identity -
which comes back to the PMCs initatial work on charter etc.

On the infrastructure side - are you involved in that at all ?

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell

OSM SARL