avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: PMC et al
Date Wed, 13 Nov 2002 18:47:55 GMT

Federico Barbieri wrote:

> Leo Simons wrote:
>
>> Hi Fede,

>>> I see you all agree on this and I'm happy the Avalon community is
>>> strong and united but...
>>> IMHO there is not *one* single reason why creating an Avalon PMC and
>>> moving discussions from here to there would make things *any*
>>> better. It's Yet Another Mailing List.
>>>

>> first of, thanks for taking the time to respond!
>>
> sound sarcastic...

sounds provocative ;-)

>> This is not about moving discussions at all (I suspect that almost all
>> of them will all stay on avalon-dev; the thing that'd change is that the
>> list moves from avalon-dev@jakarta.apache.org to dev@avalon.apache.org).
>>
>> The creation of a PMC is in line with the general restructuring
>> happening at apache right now, and has to do with legal security,
>> increased community-sense on an apache-wide scope, etc etc.
>>
> Afaik there is not *one* line about how to restructure jakarta.

This is totally true - our area of interest and scope of concern is
Avalon, not Jakarta.

:-)

> If you think the apache community avalon framework wise, what you are
> doing is forking the framework specification because you want to have
> a different container implementation.
>
> just my thought

If you review the threads on the Avalon PMC, I think you will arrive at
the conclusion that the avalon framework is the fundamental backbone,
however, I think you will also find that discussions about the
framework, containers, etc., are largely technical in nature and as such
are matters for the committer comunity.  What the PMC has to address is
a charter, rationalization, and overarching objective of deliving good
quality open source solutions within our area of concern.

Cheers, Steve.

> fede
>

>> best regards,
>>
>> - Leo Simons