avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Avalon PMC Chair
Date Wed, 13 Nov 2002 09:05:51 GMT

Leo Simons wrote:

>On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 11:55, Leo Simons wrote:
>

>>* Note that we do not and cannot vote on who will be PMC Chair; that is
>>up to the apache board. This thread is about supplying the board with
>>additional information that might help them in making that decision.
>>

>follow-up was in another thread:
>
>On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 17:44, Sam Ruby wrote:
>

>>Stephen J. McConnell wrote:
>>
>> > Based on Leo's email concerning our obligations (or more correctly
>> > non-obligation) on chair selection, I have eliminated the action
>>

>from
>

>> > the schedule.
>>
>>I believe that most board members (I can confirm at least two at the
>>moment) would prefer that activity towards resolving this action
>>continue.  Based on my experience with Jakarta, I view it hightly
>>

>likely
>

>>that should a suitable chair candidate gain consensus amoungst the
>>proposed PMC members that this recommendation would be given
>>

>significant
>

>>weight.
>>

>so lets see if there's consensus......
>
><snip/>
>

>>What follows is an alphabetical list of the committers that have so far
>>opted to be on the PMC, their willingness to be the PMC Chair if asked:
>>

>Person				Prepared to be chair?
>Nicola Ken Barozzi		yes
>Marcus Crafter			not specified
>Peter Donald			yes
>Paul Hammant			not specified
>Berin Loritsch			yes
>Stephen McConnell		yes
>Peter Royal			not specified
>Leo Sutic			not specified
>Leo Simons			yes
>Jeff Turner			not specified
>Carsten Ziegeler		not specified
>
>Leo Sutic, Paul Hammant and Stephen McConnell have indicated they are
>agreeable to having Nicola Ken Barozzi be the chair. Leo Simons is too.
>
>Jason van Zyl (non-committer) has indicated he is agreeable to having
>Berin Loritsch be the chair.
>
>Stephen McConnell has indicated that he is agreeable to having Leo be
>the chair. He hasn't specified which Leo :)

Sutric !

:-)

(who I'd like to see taking a spot as chair one day soon - along with
yourself )

>Nicola Ken Barozzi so far seems to be the most likely candidate to get
>consensus. As he has indicated that he is okay with discussion of his
>candidacy being held in public, I think the logical next step is to see
>how broad support for having Nicola be chair is?

+1 for Nicolas as chair.

I think the nicola scenario works for a number of reasons - he's sort of
a loose Avalon person (which sounds a bit odd but its mean
constructively) - floating here floating there, worked with most of us,
never got locked into any particular playground - has an understanding
of the *real* issues that are present, has a picture in his head of a
united avalon, and has the patience to work though the transition.  He
also wants to resign in three months or so which is a very good
indicator that he's doing this for all the right reasons.

Cheers, Steve.

p.s. Who would love to see a good healthy rotating chair policy so all
of the people here can get in there and use the oppotunity to take
avalon that much further - instead of an overhead, a challenge!

:-)

>cheers,
>
>- Leo
>

>--