avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: thoughts on Avalon PMC
Date Sun, 10 Nov 2002 14:11:06 GMT
Leo Simons wrote:

> I'm perfectly okay with "starting over" regarding rules, bylaws, project
> organisation, setup, etc etc. I don't think starting over completely
> from a code perspective is a good idea. Some parts of avalon are of
> solid enterprise quality and have been released as such and should be
> supported. But this is again an aside; it's the proposed PMCs job to
> decide all that, innit? ;)

A very subtle point, and I don't expect it to completely make sense yet,
but I will put it out for you to consider it anyway:

The PMC should try to limit itself to management decisions and actions.
  All technical decisions should be made by the set of active
committers.  What makes this particularly confusing is that the PMC
should be made up of the set of active committers.  But all that means
is that many people will be fulfilling multiple roles.

Most decisions should require 3 +1 votes and no vetos... where any
committer is eligable to vote.

Decide carefully what votes you want to limit to only PMC participation.

- Sam Ruby