avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Avalon PMC Draft Resolution
Date Sun, 10 Nov 2002 11:27:58 GMT

Peter Donald wrote:

>Hi,
>
>When this was discussed last time there was points that were raised that need
>to be addressed before any such proposal goes forward. It would be unlikely
>that these issues could be resolved in the timeframe proposed. Especially
>given that some of the interested parties may not read their mail before the
>vote is closed. As it is a major change I don't think it is appropriate to
>try and rush through anything without everyones involvement.

Hi Pete:

It's good to get some feedback from you on this. I'll try and address the
points you have raised one by one.

Concerning prior discussions:
-----------------------------

The following message was triggered by discussions on the reorg list
concerning the responsibilities of projects.  The message, posted by
Leo Simons was quoting another message from Sam Ruby in which thoughts
were raised relative to the need for an Avalon management structure.

  * http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=avalon-dev&m=103539779400820&w=2

A little later you kicked off the thread concerning reorganization of
Avalon - focussing mainly on identification of candidates for Apache
Commons.

  * http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=103578734000006&r=1&w=2

Around the same time, discussions on the legal implication and general
thoughts about an Avalon PMC commenced.  In these posts Leo Sutic
expressed his support for the principal of an Avalon PMC but suggested
that we get more guidelines from Apache.  You raised a concern as to
scope, and later the suggestion for relocation of some activities into
commons.  Paul also noted the csframework activities in the context
of scope definition.  Leo Simons followed up on the scope question
suggesting structuring of current activities relative to our published
scope before going to the board, and also put forward some concerns and
support for separation.

  * http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=103598015700004&r=1&w=2
  * http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=103597891500005&r=1&w=2

 From these messages is seems reasonable to say that there is consensus
for restructuring of Avalon, however, Leo Sutic's email was for all
intensive purposes unanswered.  On the 9-NOV-2002, Greg Stein put
forward his recommendation and suggestions which would appear to address
questions Leo was raising.  In addition, Greg was quite clear on a
timeline.

  * http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=103681137000001&r=1&w=2

In all of the above there has not been a vote on any release or
transfer - discussion, yes, decision, no.  The important point here
is that there appears to be consensus within Avalon, the Jakarta PMC
and the Board that restructuring is required. As such, the requirement
for restructuring is reflected in the proposed resolution.

This leaves the question of time.
---------------------------------

Overall, the subject of an "Avalon PMC" has been out-in-the-open
since the 23-OCT-2002 (a little over two weeks) and longer for anyone
who tracked the reorg discussions.  By the end of the process, the
subject will be been present on the avalon-dev list for nearly a
month.  Aside from that, I've alocated a 72 hour voting period which
is what I understand to be the required duration for a vote of this
kind, together with advance notice.

Given that the proposed resolution basically reinforced the consensus
already established on restructuring, we are basically moving
forward with what we already want to do.  As such I don't see this as
controversial or a major change from what we have been discussing.

I agree with you on the point that the timeframe is short - but I'm also
conscious of the fact that there is an immediate requirement for our
resolution of the future of Avalon (and as I mentioned in an earlier
post, I prefer to see us driving this as opposed to a Jakarta PMC or
Board driven solution).

One way to raise the safety-net would be to forward the proposal email
together with a short note to all of the committers directly. Do
you (or anyone else) know how I can get that list of email addresses?

>I expect to see at least half of our code migrate to Apache Commons. Of the
>remainder I expect to see a large proportion move to incubator (or some to
>Apache Commons sandbox if it exists and some to incubator).

I agree. Establishing an Avalon PMC now simply puts in place a better
structure and context from which those actions can be taken. Part of
that process would undoubtably involve the migration your describing.
One important difference would be that those actions would be taken in
the context of a charter and roadmap.

That sounds like a big plus to me.

Cheers, Steve.

--