avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <Paul_Hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: separation of voting and commit priviledges
Date Fri, 01 Nov 2002 08:10:53 GMT
Stephen,

I have been lucky enough to be invited into the Avalon committer
community on a similar timescale to yourself.  Since arriving I have
been honored to work amongst the excellent minds here.  As I see it the
community focuses on the brilliance of Avalon-Framework and its
patterns. With that focus we are united.  It is the goal that draws us
all together.  Where the community has differing interests is that we
are maintaining multiple containers.  Some like Phoenix & ECM have been
in development for multiple years and have been used in anger over a
similar timescale.  Some like EOB are young and yet to be used by a
single organisation anywhere near a live situation!!  All our containers
are different in goal, niche configuration and implementation.  That is
fine by me.  I focus on the A-F commonality and am not upset that my
Avalon buddies show little interest in EOB :-)  I am unlikely to make
any money from EOB as I've targeted the magic price point of zero, but
then that characterises all of our containers (not withstanding the
ultra-secret efforts of the lurkers to this list).

Anyway, I am happy with this community.  I am happy that we all have
good things to say about all of the containers even the one that we do
not work on. I am happy that we hold all Avaloners in high esteem, all
containers as worthy efforts.  I'm happy that we agree that A-F is
Jakarta's most important project (though we know that non-Avaloners take
some convincing).

Where we differ dude, is on the assertion that the community needs to
evolve.  I believe it essentially does not.  We also differ on sub
projects <not> working together.  I think there is plenty of synergy.
 There are tens of excalibur libraries used by other excalibur projects
and avalon based containers.

I'd like to state a new problem we may well disagree on. I am
deliberately brief here:

    The more dissent we repeatedly post here, the more community mind share
    we lose (regular developers & committers).  I'd really prefer more
high-esteem,
    and less 'playground' comments.

Regards,

- Paul

PS - I'd also like to see more xdocs work, but as is typical with my
experience with xdocs, developers cannot be convinced to work on them
unless they are tied to their computers and make to listen to Janice
Joplin for 72 hours continuously.