avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject Re: Auto-assembly
Date Wed, 27 Nov 2002 11:27:15 GMT
On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 18:30, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> We are discussing about a new single container with profiles, wouldn't
> be better to put all further development on hold, switch to maintainance
> mode and focus on that?

no. The discussions are mainly pie in the sky stuff with a high risk factor
and a long incubation time. Even if we could shrink the development of such a
container to a year (which I doubt) and we are successful (which is by no
means guarenteed) we have still left our users in the lurch for a long time
and gone back to the eternal alpha that Avalon was always in. We worked a
long time to finally get something released stable and I do not think we
should abandon our users for a pipe dream.

If the new uber container actually occurs and solves the problems it proposes
to solve then we could perhaps start moving towards it then. Until such a
time I think we should be mindful of our users - some of whom have risked a
lot to trust our development.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald