avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject Re: Phoenix no longer reference container
Date Tue, 26 Nov 2002 04:31:42 GMT
On Tue, 26 Nov 2002 11:04, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> I agree with you that ECM is crappy code. And you know that in order to
> implement Cocoon Blocks, we'll need a much more modern (and thought-out)
> container and that in order to be able to do that, we might even allow
> some back-incompatible changes (for something like Cocoon 3.0) where it
> does make sense to break compatibility.

I have documented most of the problems and strategies I have tried with
respect to different packaging units. It is not yet in a format I can send
and I posted to cocoon about it but no one responded so I didn't bother
putting any work into getting it into a format that could be read by others.
If you want I can try to do it sometime soonish - probably next Wend (a week
and a day) from now would be easiest if you want.

However I don't think that there needs to be any serious backwards
compatability changes to enable it.

I think it would be good to upgrade to fortress as soon as possible - as soon
as Marcus (or someone else) integrates XFC or writes an ECM compatability
layer it should be ready for release and should mean no backwards
incompatability.

The one problem that I can see is that Fortress uses jdk1.3 Proxies, which may
mean that it is best if someone looks at the code in either openejb or jboss
that does proxies for jdk1.2 (or alternatively creates a jdk1.2 compliant
proxy using BCEL).

If Cocoon was to do this and provide clear warnings of which artefacts are no
longer recomended (ie marker interfaces to indicate metadata) and print out
warnings to the logs/console then this should give your users a year or two
to upgrade without any negative consequences.

If you decide to go with a richer metadata model for Cocoon3.x (which would
rock) then I think you should wait until the dust has settled here and there
is a significant advantage to the upgrade. Besides upgrading to richer
metadata I believe it will also mean you have to slightly "twist" your design
to get better performance and ease of use. Basically moving to a more service
orientated architecture and away from the container as a resource manager.
However I think that is way off in the future so probably not useful to talk
about it now.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
| Contrary to popular belief, UNIX is user-friendly. It   |
| just happens to be selective on who it makes friendship |
| with.                                                   |
|                       - Richard Cook                    |