avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Phoenix no longer reference container
Date Fri, 22 Nov 2002 21:33:42 GMT
On Sat, 23 Nov 2002 07:43, Leo Sutic wrote:
> The website says (first paragraph):
>  > Phoenix is a micro-kernel designed and implemented on top of the Avalon
>  > framework. It is both an API to program to and a reference
>  > implementation.

"It is both an API to program to and a reference implementation" is a hold
over from when Blocks were considered larger components and had considerably
more artefacts.

It came about because writing for Phoenix was essentially writing for a
different API that used parts of Avalon Framework. Just like writing to
Cocoon was essentially writing for a different API that used parts of Avalon
Framework (except some of the cocoon specific parts made it into framework).

> How do you percieve Phoenix's place in Avalon?

The only released container that uses practices we still approve of. There are
several things that suck about Phoenix but overall it is not too bad. The
parts that suck can almost all be replaced in a backwards compatible manner
(with the exception of isolation requirements). In the end it is a good tool
to get more people involved in Avalon.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald