avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: On Multiple Containers
Date Fri, 22 Nov 2002 06:42:20 GMT
On Fri, 22 Nov 2002 07:08, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Sun designs a framework, so does Avalon.
>
> Sun ships *ONE* reference implementation of that framework and allows
> external entities to build other implementations.
>
> Why should Avalon ship more than one reference implementation?

"reference implementation" is not a useful term. Sun ships multiple
implementations of the framework. One is a learning tool and not to be used
in commercial deployments and the other is a real implementation.

> Tell me: if Cocoon was shipping four different implementations of the
> Cocoon internal interfaces for every time a new vocal developer comes in
> and doesn't like what the community decides, would that make it
> perceived as a better project from the user community?

If the different implementations offer different advantages, add more
opportunities for users to contribute and use cocoon - then sure. Diversity
is not something to avoid but something to embrace.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald