avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Greg Stein" <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: [User Community Action Required] Re: Pete ousted?
Date Thu, 21 Nov 2002 20:22:31 GMT
In article <20021121102025.GH2048@expresso.localdomain>, "Jeff Turner"
<jefft@apache.org> wrote:
> In most societies, a "perception" (to quote Sam) of wrong-doing is not
> sufficient to convict someone of a crime,

The Board's action would have been great to avoid, but we (the Board) did
not feel that would have been healthy for the ASF. Our Monday meeting was
definitely the longest meeting that I've ever attended (1.5 yrs since I've
been a director), and that length was partly due to our discussions about
Mr Donald. It was not done on a whim, and it was not done on "perception".

> and justice does not take
> place behind closed doors.  Apache has rules: if rules were broken, why
> not make the evidence public?

Out of respect for Peter.

In my opinion, this is a *very* personal issue, and I *don't* think the
public has the right to participate. People's support for Peter is
definitely noted and welcome, but "dirty laundry", if you will, is
absolutely something to keep out of the public discourse.

The best thing to do is to encourage Peter to continue his participation
and to work with him in that. The Board has not suspended his right to
participate, so that requires our helping hand to encourage him to do so.

Cheers,
-g

--
gstein@apache.org ... ASF Chairman ... http://www.apache.org/