avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [User Community Action Required] Re: Pete ousted?
Date Thu, 21 Nov 2002 10:20:25 GMT
On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 01:09:05AM -0500, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Peter,
>
> We have been clearly informed by the ASF Chairman that we do not know the
> reason for their decision and, as reinforced by Sam Ruby's note, the only
> person morally entitled to provide that information would be Peter at his
> discretion, because the ASF Board is quite properly not going to do so.

In most societies, a "perception" (to quote Sam) of wrong-doing is not
sufficient to convict someone of a crime, and justice does not take place
behind closed doors.  Apache has rules: if rules were broken, why not
make the evidence public?

If the charge is "antisocial behaviour", then let the committers and PMC
of the relevant projects do the ejecting.  It is a project-level issue,
and certainly nothing that a bunch of relative strangers (Sam excepted)
have any moral right to make proclamations on.

If the board has any role here, it is to facilitate the process whereby
PMCs can eject troublesome committers.  I would suggest instituting a PMC
voting system.  Someone puts forward a vote, "should committer X be
ejected", each PMC member votes (votes remain private), and the PMC and
board go by that decision.

Since Peter has been deemed "troublesome", how about implementing this
process in reverse: each PMC member votes (privately) whether to re-admit
him as committer.  It seems the fairest way out of the current unresolved
mess, respecting both the board's decision and projects' whom the board
is supposed to represent.

--Jeff