avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <paul_hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [User Community Action Required] Re: Pete ousted?
Date Thu, 21 Nov 2002 10:15:27 GMT
Huw,

This is a meritocracy that uses democracy as a way of deciding on issues where merit is not
clear.
 Sitting behind that is 'benign dictatorship'. In that design we'll occasionally be surprised
and
we might object (I do here). Overall I defend the model.

As for transpacency, I'd say not.  This mail is public and eternal. What goes on here can
directly
affects people's lives.  Imagine I'd said "Huw you are a complete idiot, nobody on earth should
hire you for a coding position" (not true by the way), you'd be fairly unhappy that any
prospective employer might find that.  It's up to Pete how he handles the facts as stated
by the
board to him (the entity I formerly referred to as "the powers that be", until objections).
 The
board has handled things correctly as fact as news dissemination goes.  Incorrectly, in my
opinion, on the action itself.  I'll say again, I'll defend the benign dictatorship concept.

Citizens of a benign dictator are occasionally going to feel hurt. We have to get over that
and
appeal to their benevolent side.

Regards,

- Paul