avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ExcaliburComponentManagerServlet
Date Thu, 07 Nov 2002 15:44:26 GMT
On Thu, 7 Nov 2002 22:42, Leif Mortenson wrote:
> Stuff started breaking again because you moved the
> ComponentManager2ServiceManager
> over to Framework as the WrapperServiceManager.
>
> That is fixed now.  No problem.

ops. Results from me not using Selectors ;)

> What would you think about moving the ComponentProxyGenerator over as
> well.  Doing so would
> remove the need for the Container package by the Component package (?)
> Seems to make
> as much sense as moving the WrapperServiceManager class.

I am not sure I like it. The main reason is that there is no consensus on how
proxys are generated. ie In Phoenix/Merlin the lookup key will not
necessarily match the interface name and thus the proxy would never work in
this situation. In ECM/Fortress it works by virtue of

key == role + decoration

I would feel more comfortable if the code was moved either into both ECM and
fortress (It would reduce coupling and thus IMHO the duplication is not bad).
However long term I would prefer that it get moved into ECM and fortress
implement a proper Proxy management (which included proxying objects prior to
them being made available via the SM or CM).

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
"It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we
cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our
responsibilities." -Josiah Stamp